Thursday, September 21, 2006

Life is short.

Something happened to my dad tonight. He's ok in the sense that he'll probably be in pain for many weeks and 4 months or longer for recovery, but he's alive. And considering the circumstances it could have been much worse.

I thank God I had the opportunity to help him a little tonight. It's the first time in my life, that I can remember, that I felt he really needed me and I was able to take care of him. My mom is also in a lot of pain at this time. She just recently had surgery to hopefully help reduce some of her neck and back pain that she lives with everyday of her life. However, temporarily the pain is much worse. So, she is not really in a position to help my dad with his broken leg and various other injuries.

Here's the story in a nutshell:
I'm sitting at home around 4:30pm. My dad calls and asks very casually what I was going to be up to over the next couple of hours. From the tone of his voice I assumed it had something to do with him bringing our longtime family friend, who was in town, over to see our new home. So I said, "nothing much." Then he asked if I'd be able to meet him at the medical clinic to pick him up. I asked why. He simply said he'd tell me about it later, but may have broken his ankle. I'd like to make it clear that his voice had not an ounce of distress. That's my dad. He's a strong man.

So I cancelled my plans to play poker and went to meet him at the clinic. I walked in and there was Dr. Bob, our family friend, sitting in a chair with his head down with his fingertips barely pinching his nose between his eyes and his eyes were closed. I'm telling you this, because this is the man who invites us to go sailing on his yacht/catamaran in Grenada (the Carribbean) and this is the pose he always has on the boat when he is at his most relaxed. So I'm wondering what happened and is it important enough for me to really be missing my poker game with friends. By the way, I know that sounds callous, but I'm sure we all think like that sometimes when we are in the routine of life.

I woke him up.

Then we exchanged pleasantries about family, career, life, etc. Then I asked what was going on. He casually mentions he and dad went out to fly my dad's ultralight airplane and he was watching dad take off. He casually mentioned that he didn't seem to be gaining enough altitude and then casually mentioned something about his ultralight crashing over the treeline and then casually said his heart had sank as he jumped in the truck to rush to help. (I was thinking Thank God a doctor was with him the one time he has had problems flying.) He trailed off a little before saying "Your dad is one lucky man" and then laughed in a quiet amused tone that reminded me of the laugh you'd have when you saw a dog chase it's tail for an hour. Again for perspective, this is the same man that sailed across the Atlantic from Portugal to Grenada with dad on a boat not more than, well not very big for crossing the OCEAN in my opinion. (For a look at the boat here's a website. This is the same boat Carlye and I sailed on for a week last fall. http://www.grenadasailing.com/boat.htm)

So, that is how I learned what happened and in just a moment's time I went from wondering what trivial injury my dad had was keeping me from poker and friends to thanking God for even getting to see him later. Anyway, the rest of the night was spent doing as much as I could to help. From running to Walgreens for medicine and crutches to sitting with him and readjusting the pillows under his legs until he could find something almost tolerable. I loved every minute of it.

My thank you tonight is to my dad for being a loving dad, best friend, confidant, and so many things that I can't begin to name them. He and I have had a great relationship and after seeing my brother's father-in-law pass away, in the blink of an eye this past spring, everyday I say a prayer for him and thank God for the time we share. My dad is unendingly generous of his time when it comes to helping his children. Just in the past couple weeks he has spent several weekends in St. Louis helping my brother Ben prepare his house to sell. He has helped inspect the home I just bought and move furniture. He has helped my brother Eric put drywall in his new home office. This is all within the last month. My dad's passion for knowledge is extraordinary. He is extremely educated, but also very in tune with common sense. He's a guy that can talk psychology with you (I'm 79.35% certain that is what his Masters is in) and fix a thingymajig on your car in the same day. Although, it is funny watching him do plumbing work. He gets the job done, but not without giving it a good tongue-lashing. One of my favorite childhood memories was when my brother Eric brought home a date and my dad was in the bathroom fixing the toilet. From the couch where Eric, Eric's date, mom, and I were watching tv it sounded like dad was having a very heated dispute with a woman of ill-repute. My dad is a wonderful story-teller and a private poet. My dad amazes me. Thank you dad for being who you are and for being a constant father. I pray I can share with my son the many experiences we shared. I pray I can be as loving a father as you have been to me. Thanks, Dad.

Finally, if you have read this far, please take a few seconds to add my mom and dad to your prayers.

5 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such an amazing son. I am so proud of you.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Adam Harshman said...

Well, now we all know where you get it.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Todd said...

The more and more I get to know you, the more I like you. I can say with no reservations that you are one of the most sincere and truly great people I have ever met. You are truly an amazing person and I am glad that we have gotten to know each other. I just pray that everyone has an Andy Schmickle in there life. Thanks for setting a great example.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Christina said...

We are (and will continue to) praying my friend!! We will pray specifically for peace for you and Caryle, and for you mom and siblings!! I have to agree with Todd, you are so thoughtful of others and genuine! I think the way you love your family is awesome!! Family is such a blessing, you and Caryle are part of that blessing!! Enjoy your evening friend!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Mooskers J. Featherbottom III said...

I envy your skills as a writer, human being, Christian, husband, and guy-with-a-voice-that-sounds-exactly-like-my-uncle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home